Volume of a Rectangular Prism Calculator
The volume of a rectangular prism calculator can help you obtain the volume of a rectangular prism from its width, length, and height!
We paired this calculator with a short text covering:
- What a rectangular prism is;
- Volume of a rectangular prism formula,
- How to find the volume of a rectangular prism; and
- Some use-cases for this calculator.
Let's dive right in!
What is a rectangular prism?
A rectangular prism is any three-dimensional prism where all of its faces (top, bottom, and sides) are rectangles. This simple definition instantly shows a few properties of rectangular prisms:
- Opposite faces of a rectangular prism are identical.
- They have:
- 8 vertices;
- 12 sides; and
- 6 sides.
- It has three dimensions:
- Width; and
Some authors use a slightly different definition and distinguish between two types of rectangular prisms:
- Right rectangular prism, where its faces are perpendicular to its bases; and
- Oblique rectangular prism, where its faces are not perpendicular to its bases.
We will use the right rectangular prism definition in this volume of a rectangular prism calculator.
How to find the volume of a rectangular prism
We can easily find the volume of a rectangular prism by multiplying the length of its dimensions together. According to the volume of a rectangular prism formula, we have:
- is its length;
- is its width; and
- is its height.
🙋 You can input these dimensions in any length unit with this volume of a rectangular prism calculator! You can also manually convert the units using our length converter.
Using the volume of a rectangular prism calculator
There are many cases where this tool can prove itself useful, such as:
- Comparing two different suitcases to find the largest between them to take on a trip 🧳;
- Finding the amount of water needed to fill a fish tank of known dimensions 🐠;
- Calculating the cost to ship a box with a logistics company 📦;
- Many more.